The Department of Chemistry at the University of Southern California is always looking for motivated students to join our Ph.D. program. We have our own online application, which has NO APPLICATION FEE. The details and requirements can be found below. If you have any questions, please refer to our FAQ page . If you still have questions, contact our graduate advisor: Tel - (213) 740-6855; Email - email@example.com
DO NOT complete the application with the Office of Graduate and International Admissions (through Apply Yourself) until you are instructed to do so.
Instead apply to the PhD program directly by completing the Chemistry Department Online Application.
Application opens: August 23, 2016
Application deadline: January 02, 2017 - All applications must be totally completed by this date, including letters of recommendation and transcripts
You will need to prepare the following:
- Transcripts - You will upload a PDF of your transcripts from all universities that you have attended. You will not mail your official transcripts to USC until you are accepted to the program.
- Previous Research Experience (2 pages maximum) - In the field provided or in an uploaded PDF, describe your previous research experience. State the big-picture goals of your associated research, as well as your specific role, and any major accomplishments. For each research experience, include the corresponding university or college and faculty mentor. Conclude this section with a bullet-point list of any of your publications and/or presentations.
- Research Interests (1 page maximum) - In the field provided or in an uploaded PDF, describe the type of research that you are interested in pursuing during graduate school and why you are interested in this category of research. Explain why you think USC Chemistry is a good fit for your research interests and describe which faculty you think aligns with those interests and why. You may include figures in your PDF.
- Personal Statement (2 pages maximum) - Provide a personal statement stating your reasons for attending graduate school in chemistry, why you think your background qualifies you for pursuing graduate studies, and your career goals. You can also include here any additional information that you may want to convey to the admissions committee.
- Recommender contact information - In the field indicated, enter the email addresses of 3 mentors who can provide a letter of support. The admissions committee will email them directly with instructions for uploading the letter. We do not accept mailed recommendation letters. See FAQ for more information.
- GRE Score Report - Scores must be sent directly from ETS. Do not send a copy of your score report.
a. University code: 4852
b. Department code: 0301
- International Students Only: TOEFL or IELTS Score Report: - If your undergraduate degree is from a non-English speaking country, you must submit a TOEFL or IELTS Score Report directly from ETS or IDP Education Pty Ltd. Do not send a copy of your score report. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score requirement. For more information regarding English Proficiency please visit this website: https://www.usc.edu/admission/graduate/international/englishproficiency.html
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae - Upload a current resume/CV to the application.
Potential Faculty Advisors
You are welcome to email faculty whose research interests you share, but keep in mind that admissions decisions are not based on which professors have "space" in their lab. Faculty advisors are chosen during the first year of graduate study in the Department.